Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What doesn't kill me...

Ambition: an earnest desire for some type of achievement or distinction, as power, honor, fame, or wealth, and the willingness to strive for its attainment

This morning I decided I was going to take my little guys on a bike ride.  This requires me to put their butts in a trailer with a bent wheel and haul them behind my mountain bike.  I do this often to run errands in town, I actually have an unwritten rule that if I'm going somewhere in town I MUST ride my bike.  I also have taken cycling to a whole new world since I started spinn class.. basically when I ride I NEVER stop peddling!!  Not to slow down, not on a down hill.. I use my gears and my legs NEVER stop moving!!  Well.. today I figured I'd do a long ride originally I thought I'd head out and do 10 miles or something.  Sounds fun...

But as I left my house I started thinking "why not take them on that 21 miler?" I mean.. I did 21 miles the other day on my own and totally didn't die... and even though I knew it would be MUCH harder I just kept telling myself "It's not a race! I can totally do this!  I've got all day!" I was feeling incredibly ambitious! ;)   About 5 miles into it that saying "overly ambitious" popped into my head and I held onto that thought the rest of the way.  How can one be OVERLY ambitious?  Screw that... it's impossible.  Saying you were overly ambitious is saying that something is impossible.  But it's simply not true.  One thing I've learned from this journey is that so many of the limits I had were in my head.  I learned to really embrace the idea that that which doesn't kill me makes me stronger.  So it became my montage as I pulled those boys up hill after hill.. that which doesn't kill me makes me stronger... pain is weakness leaving your body... there is no such thing as being overly ambitious... I will NOT die.. I will get home eventually... AND I DID! ;)

Life happens whether we are ambitious.. or sitting on the couch.  Why not push past those false limits?  Why not set goals that might seem "overly ambitious" because NOTHING feels as amazing as doing something you never thought you could do... or proving to doubters that it's possible!!

Set HUGE goals... and work your ass off to achieve them! :)

4 comments:

Anniemal said...

perfectly put!! I'm still in a battle with my mind's limits.

Brandy said...

So how long did it take????

Karilynn said...

About 2 hours and 10 minutes... nearly 50 minutes longer than it took me to do it without kiddos! ;)

Mindy said...

you're amazing!