Friday, May 8, 2009

Diet

Okay, so lately I've had lots of people asking me what I'm doing to lose weight. These people act genuinely interested in losing weight until I say, WELL, I'm not eating processed flour or sugar, switched everything to lean meats (pretty much everything is turkey) and I run or go to the gym 6 days a week. The response I continually get is: BUT I GO TO THE GYM EVERYDAY!!
It's amazing to me that people are totally willing to get to the gym every day but completely unwilling to change the way they eat. I promise you all...
YOU CAN BUST YOUR ASS EVERYDAY AT THE GYM AND NOT LOSE A POUND!! BUT YOU CAN NEVER STEP FOOT IN A GYM AND STICK TO A GOOD DIET AND LOSE WEIGHT!
It really irritates me when people blow off the value of diet. Like when they specifically ask me what I'm doing and then act like dieting is silly. I just want to say... "listen lady, I get it.. you are the queen of the gym, good for you.. but don't ask me how to be successful if you are going to throw it back in my face!"
I have this fire in me! I REALLY want to help other women be successful, but I wonder why we as women are so willing to dismiss things that simply aren't convenient for us. We swap gym stories almost as often as we swap horrible birth stories and that's okay but when someone "suggests" that maybe what we are eating is the problem, too many of us go on the defense. Maybe what you are eating isn't "bad" but it isn't until we put it all down on paper that we really realize what we are putting into our mouths on a daily basis.
SO for all you women out there who think enough exercise can change the world. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!! I will continue to pay attention to what goes in my mouth!
BOTTOM LINE:
IF YOU WANT TO BE SUCCESSFUL AT LOSING WEIGHT, FIND A NUTRITIONAL GUIDELINE THAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU AND STICK TO IT.
I've never met ANYONE who lost a large amount of weight by exercising and eating whatever they wanted. HAVE YOU?

4 comments:

M and A said...

well said!

Melissa Davis said...

I TOTALLY agree with you Karilynn. Exercise is GREAT and good for your mind, body, heart....but exercise with out changing what you eat will just maintain the weight you are at!

Katie said...

Totally agreed

Vicki said...

I just barely saw this and your new posts... I KNOW you are right bc I am totally on the exercise end... and it is obviously not working when I am not changing my diet.

This month I am trying to go back to the way I ate during month one. I know watching what I eat is the key...