Monday, May 11, 2009

Modeling healthy behavior

So Katie mentioned that she is trying to remember that she is modeling healthy behavior for her children. I think this is a great way to look at it. I can tell that I am modeling something... I am the only "girl" in my house. I have 4 sons and a hubby. My 3 year old likes to point out the difference between boys and girls and recently started saying things like, "girls don't eat candy huh mom? Girls don't eat ice cream! Girls don't eat cake!" LOL! Maybe I'm modeling self control or MAYBE... he's really confused as to exactly what my role is these days!

3 comments:

Melissa Davis said...

I think that's funny he said that! I think it's important to just make sure our kids understand what is healthy and even things like candy or cookies are OKAY if they are eaten in moderation.

Kristi said...

That's so funny! Explain to him that mommys after giving birth to their dearly beloved young ones no longer are able to eat those kind of things without packing on pounds! Oh, but we do love them so anyway. LOL

I was laughing when I read the comment you wrote on my blog. You made it sound so simple (about maintaining). I laughed because it actually is very simple. Just like any diet/exercise routine is. The formula is easy. Everyone knows how to do it. It's the struggle to actually do it that is the problem.

Speaking of that, I have a photo order to work on, but maybe I'll go exercise for a quick 30 minutes and then get to my photo order. (Finally after missing many days of exercise!)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I have a 4 year old daughter that is constantly pointing out that things are exercise. Like the other day, we were going out to play catch and my oldest didn't want to, she wanted to watch tv. My youngest pointed out that she needed to play catch because "it's exercise, right mom?!" I agree with Melissa, we need to make sure our childrens know how to balance the unhealthy stuff with the healthy stuff. Moderation is the key!